Am I Covered by Insurance?
By: Dean Law Firm
Hurricane Harvey came and went, leaving nothing but destruction and loss in its path. As a result, millions of people suffered the emotional and physical ramification of one of the worst natural disasters of all time. As people slowly return to their lives and measure the damage that has been done, you may be wondering how on earth you will survive this devastation--luckily, with the help of our legal team, as well as your insurance company, you can start to rebuild as soon as possible.
If you are a Texan who was affected by Hurricane Harvey, the following are vital steps to take in determine whether or not you are covered by insurance:
- No matter what, first notify your home insurer immediately of your damage to the home; and get a claim number. Figuring out whether your insurance covers losses comes next.
- If your damage was caused by flood, losses will be covered only if you pay for flood insurance. Regular homeowners’ policies do not cover damages caused by “rising water”.
- If you do not have flood insurance, still notify FEMA immediately online at www.disasterassistance.gov, by calling 1-800-621-FEMA, or going to a FEMA Disaster Recovery Center (DRC). You may be entitled to some government benefits/emergency relief.
- If wind and/or wind-driven rain caused damage to your home, losses will be covered only if you have windstorm coverage. Again, regular homeowners’ policies generally exclude (e.g. do not pay for) losses related to wind and/or wind-driven rain.
- Again, if you do not think you pay for windstorm coverage, still notify your insurance company and get a claim number. You may still have some insurance for a portion of your losses.
Contact Our Midland Personal Injury Attorneys Today
Dean Law Firm is comprised of dedicated, compassionate, and experienced Midland personal injury lawyers who want to fight for your rights following the devastation of Hurricane Harvey. We know countless people are in need of legal support, care, and representation due to this horrific event, which is why our legal team will do our part to ensure you are taken care of to the fullest extent possible.
Don’t hesitate to contact us at your earliest convenience by calling us at (432) 214-8125.